The British Columbia Digital
Reading About Digital Libraries: Bibliographic
Resources: Conferences (Selected)
Scope: Due to  the increasing number of conferences in the 21st century
with a digital library theme or content, this page, except for the Conference
is not being fully updated as of May 1, 2002. If you are interested in
upcoming conferences, consult D-LIB
Magazine, subscribe to the DIGLIB (Digital Libraries Research) mailing list, or use the Conference Guides
section below. Insofar as I am able to expeditiously process them, requests
for announcements of individual conferences will be honored. Date updated: 2004-08-08.
See also various subsections of Digital Library
Construction Tools, in particular,  How-To
- Ariadne. Each issue
includes a news and events section of upcoming conferences, seminars  and
workshops. Date accessed: 2004-08-08. Date added: 2004-08-08.
- DigiCULT Events.
A European Union project on digital culture, you can search and browse for
upcoming and past conferences, seminars  and workshops. Date accessed:
2004-08-08. Date added: 2004-08-08.
Magazine: Ready Reference: Meetings, Conferences, and Workshops. Date
accessed: 2004-08-08. Date added: 2004-08-08.
A Newsletter on Cultural Content and Digital Heritage.   Each issue
includes an Events section with announcements of upcoming conferences, seminars,
and workshops. Date accessed: 2004-08-10. Date added: 2004-08-10.
- LIBRES: Library and Information Science Research Electronic Journal.
" Conferences and Meetings." This section of the journal's Web
site is continuously updated. Date added: 2002-01-15. Date updated: 2004-08-08.
DigiNews. Each issue includes a Calendar of Events.
Date accessed: 2004-08-09. Date updated: 2004-08-09.
- ASIST 2002
Annual Meeting (American Society for Information Science and Technology),
November 18-21, 2002, Philadelphia, PA, USA. Conference title: " Knowledge, Connections and Community" . Conference includes digital libraries.
Date added: 2002-01-10.
CIKM 2001: Tenth International Conference on Information and Knowledge
Management, November 5-10, 2001, Atlanta, Georgia, USA.
- Bielefeld International
Conference, 7th, February 3-5, 2004, Stadthalle Bielefeld,
Germany. Conference title: " Thinking Beyond Digital Libraries: Designing the Information Strategy for the Next Decade" . Presented simultaneously in German and English, many of the conference presentations can be downloaded as Adobe Acrobat PDF or Microsoft PowerPoint documents. Date accessed: 2004-03-31. Date added: 2004-03-31.
- Bielefeld 2002 Conference: 6th European Bielefeld Colloqium, February 5-7, 2002, Stadthalle Bielefeld, Germany. Conference title: " High Quality Information For Everyone And What It Costs" . Presented simultaneously in German and English, this conference includes a track on digital libraries and e-learning. Date added: 2001-12-19.
- Computing Arts
2001: Digital Resources for Research in the Humanities, September 26-28,
2001, University of Sydney, Australia. " The first major conference devoted to
issues in humanities computing generally in the Australia-Pacific region,
Computing Arts 2001 seeks to bring together scholars, academic researchers,
publishers, librarians and archivists in the region and beyond, with key
speakers in the field, to foster the exchange of ideas and to extend the use of
digital resources, techniques and tools in humanities research and
- DC-2001: International
Conference on Dublin Core and Metadata Applications 2001, October 22-26, 2001,
National Institute of Informatics, Tokyo, Japan.
- Digital Cultural Heritage IV: Networked Virtual Museums and Memory Institutions, July, 10-13 2002, Maastricht, The Netherlands. Organized by the Amsterdam Maastricht Summer University in collaboration with the Maastricht McLuhan Institute. Date added: 2002-01-10.
- Digital Library: IT Opportunities
and Challenges in the New Millennium, July 9-11, 2002, China. Organized
by the National Library of China and sponsored by the Ministry of Culture,
in collabroation with the China Digital Library Corp., Ltd. Site available
in Chinese and  English. Date added: 2002-01-15.
- Digital Resources for the
Humanities (United Kingdom). Annual conferences held in Great Britain, the
first of which occurred in 1996.
- ECAI 2001
(Electronic Cultural Atlas Initiative Conference), June 12-16, 2001, University
of Sydney, Australia.
- Electronic Book
2001: Authors, Applications and Accessibility, November 5-7, 2001,
Washington, DC (Sponsored by the National Information Standards Organization
and the National Institute of Standards and Technology).
- eLibrary@ubc3: Critical Thinking in the Digital Era Through Technology.
February 7, 2002, Vancouver, University of British Columbia Library. Date added:
- Elpub 2002, ICCC/IFIP 6th International Conference on Electronic Publishing, November
6-9, 2002, Karlovy Vary, Czech Republic. Hosted by Institute for Print and Media Technology, Chemnitz Technical University, Germany, and Department for Computer Science and Engineering, University of West Bohemia, Pilsen, Czech Republic. Date added: 2002-01-15.
- European Conference on Digital
Libraries 2004 (ECDL), September 12-17, 2004, Bath, England. Date updated: 2004-08-08.
- 4th ARSAG International Symposium, May 27-30,  2002, Paris, France.
Conference organized by the Association pour la recherche scientifique sur
les arts graphiques, the symposium title is " Preservation in the Digital
Age." Papers will be delivered in English or in French with simultaneous
translation. No Web site as of 2001-12-19. Date added: 2001-12-19.
- Fifth International Workshop " Digital Resources and International Information Exchange: East-West" , March 15 (Washington, DC), 18 (Flushing, NY), 20 (Stamford, CT), 2002,
International Library Information and Analytical Center. Session 3 on March 20 is on the topic of " Digital Public Libraries." Date added: 2002-01-15.
- Grindstone Island
Summer Seminars (Archives & Museum Informatics), Grindstone Island, Big
Rideau Lake, Ontario, Canada. Archives & Museum Informatics is the
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, consulting and digital content management services
company established by David Bearman in 1986.
Conference 2001 (Higher Education Digitisation Service), June 19, 2001, The
Royal Society, London, UK. The conference title is " Digitisation Solutions:
Strategies in Practise" .
Strategies 2001 (November 14-15, 2001).  Fort Myers, FL: Florida Gulf Coast University.
Selected papers are available online in HTML format many of the sessions
pertain to various aspects of digital library management.
- International Conference of Asian
Digital Libraries (ICADL), December 10-12, 2001, Bangalore, India.
Conference on Ontologies, Databases and Applications of
Semantics (ODBASE), October 28 - November 1,
2002, University of California, Irvine. Date added: 2002-01-15.
- International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC 2002), June 10-12, 2002, Sardinia, Italy. Includes sessions on digital libraries and eBooks. Date added: 2002-01-16.
- Invitational Workshop on
Networked Reference Services, April 25-26, 2001, Library of Congress,
Washington, DC. Sponsored by the National Information Standards Organization
(NISO), workshop presentations on how to manage a digital reference service are
available for download as Adobe PDF files.
- JCDL 2002: The
Second ACM+Others Joint Conference on Digital Libraries, July 14-18, 2002,
Portland, Oregon, USA.
- JCDL 2001: The First ACM+IEEE
Joint Conference on Digital Libraries, June 24-28, 2001, Roanoke, Virginia,
- LITA National Forum
(October 10-13, 2002, Houston, Texas).
- NetLab and Friends (April
10-12, 2002, Lund University, Lund, Sweden). This conference celebrates
10 years of digital library development at NetLab. Date added: 2001-12-18.
- Symposium on
Applied Computing (SAC) 2002, (Association of Computing Machinery), March
10-14, 2002, Madrid, Spain. Of special interest is the Technical Track
" Database and Digital Library
- text-e forum (October 15, 2001 to March 14, 2002, Bibliothèque Publique d'Information, Centre Pompidou, France) is " the first entirely virtual symposium dedicated to investigating the impact of the Web on reading, writing and the diffusion of knowledge." Conference papers can be downloaded in Adobe eBook or Microsoft eBook formats or read online in HTML. Participation in the online discussions requires free registration.
Libraries in the New Millennium: Proceedings of a SOLINET Conference, May
2, 2001, Atlanta GA.
- The Virtual
Reference Desk Third Annual Digital Reference Conference, November 12-13,
2001, Rosen Plaza Hotel, Orlando, Florida, USA. The conference title is
" Setting Standards and Making it Real" .
- Web-Wise: A Conference on Libraries and Museums in the Digital World.
Washington, DC, 1st, March 16-17, 2000 2nd, February 12-14, 2001.
Papers and resources from this annual conference which includes archivists, curators, and librarians from
around the USA. First Monday
also publishes the conference papers. Date added: 2001-12-18.
- WIDM'01: 3rd
International Workshop on Web Information and Data Management, November 9,
2001, Atlanta, Georgia, USA. Held in conjunction with ACM CIKM 2001.
- Workshop on
Personalisation and Recommender Systems in Digital Libraries (DELOS-NSF),
June 18-20, 2001, Dublin City University, Dublin, Ireland, UK.
Compiled by David
Mattison, Victoria Telecommunity
Network, BC. Copyright © 2000-2011 by the
BC Community Network Association. This
site may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion without the
consent of the BCCNA.