The British Columbia Digital
Digital Library Collections By Subject:
See also Serials.
Current Online Newspapers
- NewsLink. Champaign, IL: NewsLink Associates.
Searchable/browsable guide to newspaper, magazine and broadcast media,
including Internet-based services, in the United States and around
the world. Date added: 2001-12-20.
News Archives on the Web. Hosted by iBiblio.org.. " This page was initially compiled by Margot Williams, The Washington
Post, with George Washington University Journalism 190 students and
Christian Bourge." Date added: 2001-12-20.
Newspapers Collection. Calgary, AB: University of Calgary Press. Part
of the Our Future, Our Past: The Alberta Heritage Digitization Project,
this collection, once completed, will contain all Alberta newspapers up to 1950.
The collection, scanned from microfilm or microfiche, is browsable
by date. Date added: 2001-12-20.
- The Argus
Digital Collection. Bloomington, IL: Ames Library, Illinois Wesleyan University.
Utilizing Greenstone Digital Library Software, this collection provides
access via browsing and searching to Adobe Acrobat PDF facisimiles of the
student newspaper The Argus. Date accessed: 2003-11-22. Date added:
- Australian Newspapers: Historic Australian Newspapers, 1803 to 1954. Canberra: National Library of Australia. Digital collection of digitized newspapers. The public can register and supply corrections to the OCRed text. Date accessed: 2009-04-22. Date viewed: 2009-04-22.
- Australian Newspapers Online. Canberra: National Library of Australia. Title list of electronic issues of contemporary and digitized historical newspapers published in Australia. The historical newspapers include content from the Australian Periodical Publications 1840-1845 digital collection. Date accessed: 2004-11-16. Date added: 2004-11-16.
- Australian Periodical Publications 1840-1845. Australia:
Australian Cooperative Digitisation Project. Searchable/browsable collection
of digital facsimiles of Australian periodicals, including newspapers, which
began publication between 1840-1845. Individual page images are viewable/downloadable
as Adobe Acrobat PDF files. Date added: 2001-12-20.
- Austrian Newspapers Online: Historische
österreichische Zeitungen und Zeitschriften Online. Wien, Österreich: Österreichische Nationalbibliothek,
2004-. " In Kooperation mit: Parlamentsbibliothek [und] Universitätsbibliothek
Newspapers from the Habsburg Monarchy and Austria dating from
the 1780s to 1938. Non-searchable, click-through access is by date or by
newspaper title. Date accessed: 2004-03-30. Date added: 2004-03-30.
- Barrington Review Online. Barrington, Illinois: Barrington Area Library. Search or browse through selected digital facsimiles of the Barrington Review between 1914 and 1930. The site uses the CONTENTdm software. Date accessed: 2004-10-05. Date added: 2004-10-05.
- The British Colonist: Online Edition, 1858-1910. Victoria, BC: Special Collections, McPherson Library, University of Victoria, 2008-. A digital facsimile of the second daily newspaper published in Victoria, BC, Canada, which began publishing on December 11, 1858 and continues to be published in the present as the Times-Colonist. The newspaper was also known as The Daily Colonist and The Colonist.
The site uses the
CONTENTdm software. Date accessed: 2008-04-19. Date added: 2008-04-19.
- The British Library Online
Newspaper Archive. British Library. Pilot version to selected, searchable
facsimile issues of London’s Daily News, The News of the World
and The Weekly Dispatch, and The Manchester Guardian. Requires a Web browser supported by Olive ActivePaper Archive Software. .
Date added: 2001-12-24.
Daily Eagle Online, 1841-1902. Brooklyn Public Library. In beta testing
and expected to be fully available in the summer 2003. Requires a Web browser supported by Olive ActivePaper Archive Software. Date accessed: 2003-05-16. Date added: 2003-05-16.
- Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, 2007-. Summary: " This site allows you to search and read newspaper pages from 1900-1910 and find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities and the Library of Congress as part of the National Digital
Newspaper Program (NDNP)." Date
accessed: 2007-06-15. Date added: 2007-06-15.
- Colorado's Historic Newspaper Collection. Denver, CO: Colorado Digitization Program. Browse for specific issues of historical Colorado newspapers published between 1859 and 1923 (as of 2005-10-08 only issues between 1888-1923 are available), or conduct full-text searches. Requires a Web browser supported by Olive ActivePaper Archive Software. Date accessed: 2005-10-08. Date added: 2005-10-08.
- Danish Historical
Newspaper Archive. Aarhus, Denmark: Statsbiblioteket (State and University
Library). Part of Tiden: Joint Nordic Newspaper Project.
Date added: 2002-01-03.
- El Clamor Publico
(Los Angeles, CA : 1855-1859). Complete searchable digital facsimile
of this Spanish language newspaper. Part of the Digital
Archive at the University of Southern California's Archival Research
Center. Date added: 2002-01-05.
- Ethnic and Special Audience Newspapers of the Pacific
Northwest. Seattle, WA: University of Washington Libraries. Project to produce
a bibliographic database of ethnic and special audience Pacific Northwest
newspapers, including British Columbia titles, linked to scanned images.
Date added: 2002-01-29.
- Finnish Historical Newspaper Library, 1771 -1860.
Helsinki, Finland: Helsinski University Library. Site also available in
Finnish and Swedish. All newspapers published in Finland will be digitized
(44 titles and 90,000 pages). Part of Tiden:
Joint Nordic Newspaper Project. Date added: 2002-01-03.
- Georgia Historic Newspapers.
Athens, GA: Digital Library of Georgia, University System of Georgia. Search and view
digital facsimiles of public domain Georgia newspapers as Adobe PDF page images. Use the " Online Collections & Current Projects" link to access the newspapers database. Date
accessed: 2002-09-16. Date added: 2002-09-16.
- Hawaiian Language Newspaper Index. Honolulu, HI: Bishop Museum, March 2005-. A database for searching five digitized Hawaiian language newspapers: Ka Elele Hawai‘i, Ka Hae Hawai‘i, Ke Kumu Hawai‘i, Ka Lama Hawai‘i and Ka Nonanona. Date accessed: 2007-12-30. Date added: 2007-12-30.
- Hawaiian Language
Newspapers. Honolulu, HI: Special Collections, University of Hawaii
Libraries. Digital facsimiles of selected 19th and 20th century newspapers
published in the Hawaiian language, along with links to resources materials
such as indexes to these newspapers. Parts of this site link to the Hawaiian Nupepa Collection maintained by the Ulukau, Hawaiian Electronic Library. Date added: 2001-12-20. Date updated: 2005-10-08.
- He 'Ohina Nupepa 'Olelo Hawai'i = Hawaiian Nupepa [Newspaper] Collection. Hilo, HI: Hale Kuamo'o and others, 2003-. Digitized collection of Hawaiian and English language newspapers. See also Hawaiian Language Newspapers. Date accessed: 2005-10-08. Date added: 2005-10-08.
- Historic American Newspapers (Library of Congress) see Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers.
- Historical Newspapers Project.
College Park, MD: University of Maryland. Project team: Robert B. Allen and
Karen Huffman. " Our aim is to supply tools to researchers, historians, social scientist, and
interested users for searching, identifying, and accessing digital versions of
historical newspapers on distributed systems." Site includes links to digitized
collections of historical newspapers. Date added: 2002-01-28.
- Images in the News:
Canadian Illustrated News, 1869-1883. Ottawa, ON: Library and Archives
Site consists of a selection of almost 4,000 images from this periodical
which was published in Montreal, Quebec, by George Desbarats. The complete
contents of the first and last issues are also available in HTML format
for the text and digital facsimiles for the images. Date added: 2001-12-20.
Date updated: 2004-04-21.
- Manitobia, Life and Times. Manitoba Library Consortium and partners, 2005-. Summary: Launched on May 19, 2005, this multimedia exploration of the history of Manitoba includes a browsable selection of historical newspapers. Date accessed: 2005-06-19. Date added: 2005-08-02.
- Maori Niupepa Collection.
Hamilton, NZ: New Zealand Digital Library Project, University of Waikato. A collection of historic newspapers published primarily for a Maori audience
between 1842 and 1932, the newspapers can be searched or browsed by date
or series. Site interface is available in Maori and English. This site was
built with the Greenstone Digital Library Software. Date added: 2001-12-20.
- Memorial University Digital Archives Initiative: Newspapers. St. John's, NL: Memorial University. A small number of historical newspapers from Newfoundland and Labrador have been digitized. Select the link at the top of the page for Collection by Type. This site uses the CONTENTdm software. Date accessed: 2011-10-06. Date added: 2011-10-06.
- Missouri Historical
Newspapers Project. Joint project of several libraries to digitize historic
newspapers. The site uses Olive Software's ActivePaper. Date accessed: 2003-09-02.
Date added: 2003-09-02.
- Morning Leader (Port Townsend, WA). Port Townsend, WA: Port Townsend Public Library. Hosted by the University of Washington Libraries Digital Collections. Published daily and continuously under different titles since 1889, you can search issues for 1902 and 1903. The site uses the CONTENTdm software. Date accessed: 2003-05-24. Date added: 2003-05-24.
- New York Times (1851-1921). Articles published between 1851 and 1921 can be searched and viewed at no cost as Adobe Acrobat PDF files. The URL here points to the Archive 1851-1980 search screen from which you can enter search terms and options. Date accessed: 2007-09-20. Date added: 2007-09-20.
- Newfoundland and Labrador Newspapers (NL Newspapers). St. John's, NL: Memorial University. Summary: "Approximately 270 newspapers were published in Newfoundland from 1807 to 2000. They contain the history of Newfoundland, day by day, but are not accessible by subject, as they have not been indexed. We hope that digitization will be an excellent access point
into their content." Only a handful of these newspapers have been digitized. This site uses the CONTENTdm software. Date accessed: 2011-10-06. Date added: 2011-10-06.
Cedar Rapids, IA: Heritage Microfilm, Inc. Free membership upon registration
provides access to five digitized newspapers and an image of all newspapers
resulting from a successful search. A free Web browser plug-in is required
to view the newspapers. Date added: 2001-12.25.
Digital Newspaper Projects. Seattle, WA: Microform and Newspaper Collections,
University of Washington Libraries. Descriptive list of newspaper digitization
projects around the world. Date added: 2002-01-29.
- Northern New York Historical Newspapers. Potsdam, NY: Northern New York Library Network, 2008-. Summary: " Northern New York Historical Newspapers provides indexed access to selected historical newspapers from our service area: Clinton, Essex, Franklin, Jefferson, Lewis, Oswego and St. Lawrence counties. The images on this web site were scanned, processed by an optical character recognition program and converted to PDF files. The contents of these PDF files were
then indexed and placed on the Web.The selection of titles has been limited by the availability of the title on microfilm and by the quality of the microfilmed image. A number of newspaper titles provided scanned images too poor to process." As of 2008-03-20, " The online collection currently consists of more than 1,032,000 pages from twenty-nine newspapers." Date accessed: 2008-03-20. Date added: 2008-03-20.
- Norwegian Portal for Digitized
Newspapers. Norwegian site title: digitale.aviser. Oslo, Norway: Nasjonalbiblioteket
(National Library of Norway). To view the digital facsimiles, select
the " datosøk" link. Requires a free browser plug-in (Java applet)
to view the digitial facsimiles. Part of Tiden:
Joint Nordic Newspaper Project. Date added: 2002-01-03.
- Nova Scotia Historical Newspaper Project. Sydney, NS: Cape Breton University. Part of a provincial cooperative digitization project and hosted by the Memorial University Digital Archives Initiative. This site uses the CONTENTdm software. Date accessed: 2011-10-06. Date added: 2011-10-06.
- Nova Scotia Historical Newspapers. Halifax, NS: Nova Scotia Archives. Part of a provincial cooperative digitization project, these newspapers are part of a Virtual Archives collection hosted by the Nova Scotia Archives. This site uses Adobe Flash and Zoomify to present these digital facsimiles. As of October 2011, seven newspapers covering over 14,000 pages have been digitized. Date accessed: 2011-10-06. Date added: 2011-10-06.
- Online Newspapers: the World's Largest Online Newspaper Directory. Australian directory to online newspapers around the world. Searchable only through geographically organized lists. Date accessed: 2009-04-22. Date added: 2009-04-22.
- Paper of Record (PaperofRecord.com). Ottawa,
ON: Cold North Wind Inc. Established in September 1999, Cold North
Wind digitizes microfilm copies of historical newspapers from around
the world dating back to the 1700s and sells subscriptions to the content
through its Web site Paper of Record. Content searches are free and access
to the page images requires payment by credit card on a daily, monthly or
annual basis. Sold to Google in 2006, the site was resurrected by its former owner in April or May 2009 through academic institutions that have a subscription following complaints that Google had not followed through on its commitment to make the content available. Date added: 2002-08-24. Date updated: 2011-10-06.
Past: New Zealand Newspapers and Periodicals. Wellington, NZ: National
Library of New Zealand. Site contains selected selected 19th century English
and Maori language newspapers and periodicals in digital facsimile form.
The browsable interface uses a drill-down calendar (year-month-day) to access
individual issues. A browser plug-in is required to view the scanned newspapers.
Date added: 2001-12-20.
News Index. Saskatoon, SK: University of Saskatchewan Library. Includes
HTML transcripts of selected newspaper stories. Date added: 2002-01-23.
Silent Worker. Washington, DC: Gallaudet University Library. Browse
or search through digital facsimiles of this national newspaper published
between 1888 and 1929 for the deaf (hearing-impaired) population nearly
all the articles were written by American deaf authors. Member of: Washington
Research Libraries Consortium. Date accessed: 2004-07-08.
Date added: 2004-07-08.
- Special Editions of
Canadian Newspapers. Ottawa, ON: Library and Archives Canada. Digital
facsimiles, some in color, of special issues of elected Canadian newspapers.
Date added: 2001-12-20. Date updated: 2004-04-21.
Stars and Stripes: The American Soldiers' Newspaper of World War I,
1918-1919. Washington, D.C.: American Memory, Library of Congress. Published
between February 8, 1918, to June 13, 1919, by order of General John J. Pershing,
United States Army, this collection of the complete run can be searched
or browsed. Date accessed: 2003-07-07. Date added: 2003-07-07.
Historical Newspaper Archive. Stockholm, Sweden: Royal Library of Stockholm.
Link is to RetrievalWare Document Explorer (Excalibur Technologies) search
engine. Select the " Posttidningar" database and unselect all others.
For more detailed search instructions, see the Tiden:
Joint Nordic Newspaper Project. Date added: 2002-01-03.
- Tiden: Joint Nordic
Newspaper Project. Helskinki, Finland: Helsinki University Library
Stockholm, Sweden: Royal Library of Stockholm. Site includes reports on
preservation microfilming of newspapers prior to digitization and other
background information on this project. Danish, Finnish, Swedish and Norwegian
libraries participated in the project. Date added: 2002-01-03.
- Tundra Times Indexing Project. Barrow, Alaska: Tuzzy Consortium Library, 2001-. Variant title: Tundra Times Photograph Project. The Tundra Times was a weekly newspaper published Barrow for the Alaska Native community between 1962 and 1997. After it ceased publication, its records were acquired by the Tuzzy Consortium Library and a project initiated to digitize the entire, microfilmed run of the newspaper. The digitized content is accessed through
the Greenstone Digital Library Software. Date accessed: 2005-08-27. Date added: 2005-08-27.
Digital Newspapers. Salt Lake City: University of Utah. " The digitized newspapers in this website may be browsed by issue or searched by
keywords, article titles, weddings, deaths, and births." References: Arlitsch, Kenning,
Yapp, L., and Edge, Karen, " The Utah Digital Newspapers Project,"
D-Lib Magazine, vol. 9, no. 3 (March 2003), URL: http://www.dlib.org/dlib/march03/arlitsch/03arlitsch.html Date
accessed: 2003-08-06. Date added: 2003-08-06.
- Washington Historical Newspapers. Olympia, WA: Washington State Library. A collection of early newspapers beginning in 1852 and published in Washington State when it was Washington Territory and continuing into statehood. The newspapers are keyword-searchable or they can be browsed a variety of ways. Date accessed: 2007-09-15. Date added: 2007-09-15.
Labor Advocate (La Crosse, Wis.). La Crosse, Wisconsin: University
of Wisconsin-La Crosse. Browse issues from vol.1, no. 1 (August 20, 1886)
to vol. 1, no. 1 (August 6, 1887), as well as a supplement issued in 1887.
Date accessed: 2003-12-15. Date added: 2003-12-15.
Compiled by David
Mattison, Victoria Telecommunity
Network, BC. Copyright © 2000-2011 by the
BC Community Network Association. This
site may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion without the
consent of the BCCNA.