Columbia Digital Library
International Collections: Pacific
The focus of this set of links is on
collections of electronic texts (not
individual titles) preserved through libraries, archives,
museums and corporate or private initiatives. Listings here are
therefore primarily for the written word as expressed in
manuscripts, books and periodicals, including newspapers. A few
non-book digital library collections are included. Readers
wishing further leads to non-book digital content should consult
one of the directories or guides.
Unless indicated, access to these Web sites is free and
open to the general public.
This section covers Australia, New Zealand and Pacific
Ocean Islands, but excludes Hawaii and Asian island nations such
as Japan and the Phillipines. See also Digital
Collections by Subject.
Cooperative Digitisation Project. Joint project which
produced digital facsimiles of selected
fiction and Australian
periodicals all published between 1840-1845.
- National Archives of Australia, RecordSearch. Search for digitized archival records. The search interface does not, however, allow you to select only digitized archival records as a query  option. As of January 2008, " 18.2 million digital images are available for viewing." Date accessed: 2008-01-09. Date added: 2008-01-09.
- National Library of Australia,
Digitisation. Among the most important of the library's digitization initiatives since 1996 are Australian Digitisation Projects, Australian
Journals Online, Music  Australia and Online Electronic Publications (PANDORA Archive).
PANDORA (Preserving and Accessing Networked Documentary
Resources of Australia) is a joint partnership managed by the
National Library of Australia to acquire and preserve
significant electronic publications and Web sites. The Digital Services Project describes the library's  strategy for managing its digital collections and contains links to some of the items mentioned  here along with other resources. See also
Collections by Subject. Date updated: 2002-09-03. Date updated: 2004-11-16.
- State Library of New South Wales (Sydney, Australia),
Collections. See also
Collections by Subject.
- State Library of Queensland, Queensland Digital Library. See also
Collections by Subject. Date accessed: 2004-11-16. Date added: 2004-11-16.
- University of Sydney Library,
Text and Image Service (SETIS). As of November 2001, SETIS has assembled nearly 200 literary
and historical (manuscripts and publications) texts about
Australia (Australian Literary and Historical Texts). The Australian Federation Full Text Database was added ca. October  2001. Other projects include the  writings of John Anderson dating between 1927-1955, Australian legal texts, journals of inland exploration, and a natural history collection database. Date updated: 2002-09-03.
- National Library of New Zealand, Papers
Past: New Zealand Newspapers and Periodicals.
- New Zealand National Digital Forum, Matapihi. Federated search engine to multimedia content from New Zealandís archives, art galleries, libraries
and museums. Date accessed: 2004-09-16. Date added: 2004-09-16.
- University of Auckland Library, Early New Zealand Books Digital Collection. Summary: " ... aims to provide the keyword-searchable text of significant books published about New Zealand in the nineteenth century.
... Original texts have been sourced from Special Collections/Kohikohinga Motuhake in the University of Auckland Library."
Texts are encoded in TEI. Date accessed: 2005-10-24. Date added: 2005-10-24.
- University of Waikato, New Zealand Digital Library.
Includes Maori language newspapers, literary works, and
scientific-technical reports in various digital formats.
Telecommunity Network, BC. Copyright © 2000-2011 by the
BC Community Network
Association. This site may be freely linked to but not
duplicated in any fashion without the consent of the BCCNA.